Börse für Masterarbeiten
Further project ideas:
(1) Quantification of damage and economic costs of plastic litter to Swiss industries and/or agriculture and/or ecosystems.
A couple of papers were yet published on the amount, concentration and distribution of plastic litter in Switzerland, however, an assessment of the damage and the related costs are not yet estimated. For a master student, it could be of interest to (i) collate the raised data and (ii) identify open questions regarding the data base, and further (iii) develop a scheme how to assess either economic costs to industries (selected branches), public services (e.g. waste water management treatment plants), or agriculture, or ecosystems. Methodologically, this would need either interviews with representatives of the selected branch since I don't expect that there are any data raised yet on the economic or ecosystem costs. German language knowledge necessary. Prof Kachi would be willing to act as supervisor.
(2) A deeper understanding of the impacts of litter and plastics on societal norms, attitudes and behaviour. Attitude changes (or not) before and after learning about the consequence of the contamination by plastic waste is promising. Prof Kachi would be willing to assist designing such a study with before-and-after questionnaires.
(3) Perception and acceptance of plastic pollution in different environments: Comparison of plastic litter at different places with others (Rhine water front, parks, playgrounds, Zoo) to compare the perception, acceptance, and possibly willingness to pay for a pollution-free environment. Prof Kachi would be willing to act as supervisor.
(4) Plastic waste: energy recovery or recycling?: How effective is plastic recycling in Switzerland? A viable recycling system must both provide an environmental advantage over disposing of a product and producing new, and be able to be operated economically, i.e. there must be a market for the recycled plastic that is robust to price fluctuations, and the financing of the system must be assured. German language knowledge necessary. Prof Kachi can be approached with respect to social science methods. https://www.bafu.admin.ch/bafu/de/home/themen/abfall/abfallwegweiser-a-z/kunststoffe.html <https://www.bafu.admin.ch/bafu/de/home/themen/abfall/abfallwegweiser-a-z/kunststoffe.html>
(5) What are measures, innovations and best practices relevant to reducing plastic pollution and transforming the plastics economy in Switzerland? Prof Kachi would be willing to assist.
Weitere Themen sind in Absprache möglich.